Jason is a blue cheese dressing dude. I tend to go with lighter dressings (not really into pouring like 30 grams of fat on my salad). So instead, I totally do the annoying girlfriend thing of stealing “just a couple bites” of his salad slathered in that rich and creamy blue cheese dressing, and then I go back to my healthier vinaigrette. Boring, whatever.
Spoiler alert: The nutritional information for the average blue cheese dressing is 10 grams of fat and 80 calories per 1 tablespoon! See, that’s what gets me.
So what I set out to do this Sunday was not only to make a blue cheese dressing that’s healthier for you, but to make one that would taste awesome. So awesome that Jason would never even pick up on the “light” factor at all.
Most blue cheese dressings use a combo of mayo, oil, blue cheese and buttermilk. Our secret ingredient for this light blue cheese dressing is non-fat Greek yogurt. The ratio of blue cheese to yogurt is 1 to 2. Then there’s some lemon juice and white vinegar, garlic and onion powder, salt and black pepper and a little squirt of agave. The dressing ended up being pretty thick so I thinned it out with a tablespoon of water.
It was seriously delicious. Like delicious enough to want to eat by the spoonful. You must try dipping golden delicious apples in it. Freaking wonderful. Anyway, the yogurt is basically undetectable and my subject had no idea he was eating anything that was lower in fat.
I made a little celery, celery leaf and frisee lettuce salad in celebration and we enjoyed our blue cheese dressing together for once.
As an aside, if you decide to make this salad, or just next time you put celery in a salad, be sure to get some celery with a lot of healthy leaves still intact. Celery leaves often get discarded, but they’re such a nice touch in a salad.
RecipeCoop/prep time: 5 mins. Makes enough to dress about 4-6 salads.
- 1/4 cup blue cheese finely chopped or in crumbles
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Sprinkle garlic powder
- Sprinkle onion powder
- Drizzle of honey or agave
- Finely chop and then break apart blue cheese into small crumbles. Combine blue cheese, Greek yogurt, lemon juice and vinegar in a bowl or jar and mix well. Add all seasonings and a drizzle of agave or honey and stir well with fork until cheese is no longer clumping up.
- If the cheese keeps getting stuck and/or clumping to the fork during stirring, just remove it and break it up and continue stirring. You need to totally mash up all the larger clumps and totally combine it so nobody picks up on the yogurt hiding in there! Just keep mixing until you cant taste the yogurt.
- The thickness of the dressing will vary depending on the brand of Greek yogurt you use. Some are really think so If necessary, add water (one tablespoon at a time) and stir until dressing reaches desired consistency.